Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Dinner Compromise

I go to dinner with A.Duh, Doogs, and Wild Ginger quite often and I love enjoying a night of food, wine and chatter with my girls--but it's always quite hard to find a restaurant that everyone is happy with. Either the location is off for some or the food is too expensive for others or they don't take reservations or A.Duh is allergic to almost everything on the menu (not her fault Obviously! but def a consideration). Somehow something so simple becomes something extremely complex. Thus, cut to the day a couple weeks ago where Doogs and I were on the phone for an hour and a half going through restaurants online via reviews and menus trying to find a good spot for the approaching night. It would be easy to go to a staple restaurant but it's always so much fun to try something new. By the time, Doogs called the fifth spot, she was about to give up. Finally though--a mirage a the end of the desert.

When we arrived at Alias in LES we expected little. The outside of this restaurant definitely speaks little for what the inside looks like or how the food tastes. On a Saturday night, the entire restaurant was packed to the max for our 10PM reservations. As we walked inside, I heard the host tell a walk-in, it would be an hour till he had a table for them. We sat at a four top in the corner and immediately ordered a sangria. The sangria was really good- a tad bit different than other sangrias I've tasted before almost like a cinnamon stick had been marinating in the pitcher for awhile. Wild Ginger had opted not to drink that night. Yes,bizzare...we all know. As we decided what to order, we noticed many of the menu items were infused with nuts: pignoli nuts in the pesto sauce or sesame oil in the hummus dip that was offered with the bread at the table (which was a nice surprise). This hindered A.Duh from some apps and entrees but she still managed to get adventurous and try the Duck confit appetizer split with wild ging and the shrimp tacos. Doogs and I split the parmesan gnocci served in a pesto sauce with broccoli rabe sprinkled with parm cheese as well. This was awesome esp the veggies. For mains, I got the cod--which was a tiny bit salty (which means it was really salty cause I LOVE salt). Doogs got half shrimp/half duck tacos. The Duck tacos were awesome--kind of sweet and a very interesting twist on classic mexican cuisine. Wild ginger got the vegetable plate in which our waiter persuaded her to try kale as one of three side dishes. As much as Kale is not a popular veggie, it was actually really good. By the end of the meal, all of us were full, a lil buzzed (except for Ging), and happy when the bill came. I think we paid around 40 bucks a piece.

We all spoke about how we all enjoyed our meals and how we would totally come back. It seemed to fit everyone's criteria for location, expense and taste--the only problem is still A.Duh's nut allergy. Girl, we need to get you an epi pen!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Omg I LOVE Alias! My boyfriend used to live 2 blocks away at Rivington and Ridge and we used to walk over there for Brunch ALL the time. You should DEFINATELY try it for brunch! Its southern style, with things like Sausage, Biscuits & Gravy, but their Amish bacon is to die for! I've never been there for dinner, but I'm sure its great. My fav part is the wait staff, although they seem flighty and usually stoned half the time, they are quite the mixture of people! What a great choice! I'm glad you guys enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

loved the duck tacos! we'll definitely go back... our next come-back spot is 26 seats... thank god we won't need to choose next time!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, and i still don't know what the hell kale is, but it was damn good...

Anonymous said...

De-lish!!! I was definitely impressed -especially considering the low expectations we all went in with.
Not to mention the vegitarianism/sobriety ofcourse.

Anonymous said...

De-lish!!! I was definitely impressed -especially considering the low expectations we all went in with.
Not to mention the vegitarianism/sobriety ofcourse.

Lo said...

I hear you on that trouble picking a restaurant thing..we have those probs too very often. Unfortch ours always includes my diet needs - no fun at all!

Btw - The cod might have been salty because lots of places lately are trying their own takes on baccala, which is salt-cured cod and a specialty in Italy. I only like it fried (I used to eat it in Rome all the time) but otherwise no thanks. Oh, and also, I'm allergic to cod apparently so there's my other prob with it. hehe