Saturday, December 9, 2006

Some things never change...

There are restaurants in this city whose menus cease to change and for them it’s not a bad thing. The whole point of these landmark eateries is that you know exactly what you are getting. The staff has had the same uniform for the last 15 years and some of the servers actually might have been there since the day the establishment opened. This being said, these are usually the angry old and senile servers, but I guess you got to give them some credit for longevity.

I wouldn't say these are the type of places I would go for a young fun crowd, or to grab cocktails with my friends, but when my dad asked me if I wanted to join him for lobster at the Palm, I obviously wasn't about to turn him down. As pointed out before, I doubt the menu has changed much since the day the place opened. Maybe the addition of a seared tuna appetizer to mix it up from classic crab cakes and lobster bisque but no one goes to the Palm for the exotic. In fact, when we saw the table next to us get a chicken dish my father was mind boggled and asked who comes here for chicken? It's almost a FACT you go to the palm for lobster and/or steak.

And the lobster is great. There is absolutely nothing to complain about. Paired with a couple of sides (we opted for mashed potatoes and sautéed string beans), a bottle of chardonnay and its a no frills good meal.

There is something to be said, however, for the maitre d, Al. Walking in at 630 on a Saturday night, almost all of the tables empty--Al asks for our name right away. I take the lead and say we don't have a reservation (errr...I'm kinda a control freak?). Al is quick to flash us his clipboard of reservations. His way of saying I'm packed- maybe we can fit you in. And all I can think of is what a load of crap!! You want to be slipped a $20 to get seated at any empty restaurant? Or are you merely just being an asshole cause I look like I'm 18 and asking for a seat. My father looks at his watch to signal the early evening. Al, being the accommodating guy that he is, says can you be out in a half hour? I glare at him. He replies, "I guess you wouldn't even get your food in that time...okay how bout an hour?" We comply as he sits us at the worst table in the restaurant. "Oh no no, not that table," he tells us, "the one right by the door." And as much as I love drafts, I wished my dad had spit in his palm before shaking hands with that bastard. Needless to say, there were 10 empty tables when we left an hour and a half later.

I can't say that any of the other service that night was bad. In fact, our server and bus people were nothing but sincerely nice and accommodating. I will say one thing though-- while some things are better left unchanged, there is one thing or shall I say person that should have been left in the history books.

6 comments:

wildJ said...

Dear angry lesbian,
Expecting something other then utter sass from a man who goes by "Al" was your first mistake. other then that i enjoyed the ice-breaking entry. well done. :)
looking foward to more!
sincerely,
j-love

Melis said...

There's sass (which I sometimes enjoy) and then there's being an ass. We know how I respond to the latter...

Lo said...

I've never been to the Palm, but I tend to get put off to any establishment if I'm greeted with a "you're not important enough to eat here" manner from the maitre d. Yes, you didn't have a reservation, but I tend to think most restaurants welcome any business when they are EMPTY, no? I guess my restaurant business roots never fail me :)

I found this post interesting though, because I happened to be at Mr. Chow yesterday with my family. Speaking of age-old traditional restaurants, Mr. Chow fits in perfectly. Still constantly lauded for the best haute-asian fare and for celebrity watching, of course, the last time I had been there I left extremely disappointed. My sister and I arrived last night with sour faces in remembering our last meal. That and the extremely dated and, frankly, stupid outfits the staff wears there (tux style suits), plus the fact that many of them come off as idiots, started to make me dread the dinner. (Oh yeah, I was with my family too - did I mention that?) I was pleasantly surprised when the lettuce squab wraps came out delicious and every course thereafter did as well. I would stay away from the chicken satay though.

You're right about some things never changing, but it's always a toss up whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Anonymous said...

al is a butt pirate

Anonymous said...

Dude, you should have jsut slipped him the 20 and sat at a HOT (like paris hot) table. but i see you point. he definatley sounded gay though. or maybe thats just the way you make everyone sound.

truly,
k-fag

Melis said...

Do I really make him sound gay? I didn't mean to. I just think you guys are all projecting "Big gay Al" from South Park.