Sunday, January 21, 2007

Alley Way Dining

I've heard a lot of great things about the lower east side-down-an-alley-way eatery Freeman's, but I try to let myself make a final decision. I really didn't know what to expect because while I've passed Freeman Alley a few times before, there would be no reason to walk down a dark shady alley then if I were actually intending on going inside the restaurant. I've also heard that it’s always impossible to get a table because while it maybe in an inconspicuous location, it is also extremely popular with a no reservation policy. So I was excited when my friend Laura and I decided to make an early dinner trip to Freeman's.

The place was nothing that I expected. When you walk inside you feel like you are warped out of the city and into an early American bed and breakfast with antlers on the walls and pictures of old British looking people staring at you while you eat. The tables are simple and wooden and the floors seem like they would creak if you could hear them. This is a stark juxtaposition from the hipster crowd that dines there and the wait staff that serves at this very busy place. Laura and I came at 6, right when Freeman's opens. We watched the dining room turn from empty to extremely crowded without a table to spare by 730 on a random Wednesday.

I asked our server for recommendations straight off the bat. She was spunky and shared with us the most popular dishes and her personal faves. She also told us about some of the new items on the menu as new dishes were being added during this transitional period. We decided on the artichoke dip to start, which came in a matter of minutes piping hot with a tower of French bread to dip. The artichoke dip was delic- crusty on top and creamy in the middle. The app was big; could probably feed 3-4 people, but Laura and I managed to do an exceptional job making a dent despite the size and the rich factor. For our main courses, I decided on the Cod (a new item on the menu) and Laura decided on the Filet with horseradish cream. I was tinkering with the idea of the venison stew but wasn't willing to take the chance yet (def next time). We also got a side of sweet potatoes topped with crème fraise and chives. Our entrees came, which we both enjoyed. Mine was a tad bit salty but I'll give it some leeway since its a new dish and will probably get better as they make it more often. I think this was also due to the bacon in the sauce. Still though, it was enjoyable. Laura enjoyed her steak but the horseradish flavor was a little much for her. For horseradish lovers though, a def must. Our side of sweet potatoes was ridic and made up for where our mains let us down. The potatoes were sweet yet lightly salted to give the sweet and salty counter effect and the crème fraise and chives worked perfectly. By the time we finished our entrees, the place was also packed. We took a gander at the dessert menu and the waitress mentioned a pear and apple crumble that enticed us. Unfortunately, it was not yet on the menu (something to look forward to possibly?) Laura is obsessed with pears so we got the poached pears in a red wine reduction served with a fragrant ice cream and sugar cookie. The dessert was delicious and each element complimented the next. The cookie was buttery and smooth and was lightly powdered in confectionary sugar. The ice cream offset the rich flavors of the red wine in the pears with a light and aromatic taste. It was the perfect ending to dinner.

I really enjoyed dinner at Freeman's but I always wonder what my thoughts would be like without any pre-notion. I would definitely go back despite my salty entree because everything else was exceptional. To me, it seems like a return-to staple for new American cuisine and the only place I can say I walked down an alleyway to get to.... plus I hear their brunch is great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your dislike of goat cheese, is unfortunate. lol. speaking as a horseradish lover, i must agree and say the filet is a must.

Unknown said...

Ok so I totally took your advice and tried out Freeman's for brunch this past weekend, Saturday morning. And it was SO AWESOME. The food was great, the atmosphere was way cool, and we got there just as they opened at 11, just as you had suggested. I highly suggest you go back for brunch! (We tried the artichoke dip, even for breakfast, and it was YUMMM!) Thanks again!