Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Fresh Fish ala NYC/Greece

So I’m about to fly off to Greece tomorrow and I thought I’d just post one last time to hold you over (although I’ve been pretty bad lately..sorry it’s the summer! My apologies). Anyways, Mediterranean cuisine is probably one of my most favorite types of food so I’m pretty excited to explore the traditional meals and the fresh fish. I’ve already made a reservation at Nobu’s restaurant in Mykonos – Matsuhisa, which apparently they also have in LA.

Last night I actually went out to dinner to celebrate my Mom’s birthday at Aquagrill. We opted there for the convenience to my work and the fresh fish. My mom kept saying she liked the ‘variety.’ To be honest, I didn’t think it was so diverse but I always love fish so I can’t complain. The restaurant was good, but I wouldn’t go stark raving mad over it. I had the Chilean turbot served over cucumber and crab risotto. They give you a lot of fish; two nice size fillets and the sauce was pretty good; complimenting the fish well. For app, I had the warm octopus salad- this also, pretty good..but I was kind of testing my limits because I’m not really a fan of anything with suction cups on legs. They prepped it so that it was the least tentacley and leggy that it could possibly be and it was pretty tasty. My sister had the bonito sashimi and Japanese eggplant for starter and I thought that was tasty and extremely fresh as well.

I’ve heard some pretty good things about aquagrill but I really wasn’t blown away. Maybe I’m just too excited for the literally ‘just caught, fresh off the boat’ fish that I will be experiencing in Greece? In any case, there will definitely be a post or two when I return to the states whether to describe the tastes and smell of the Greek Islands or the over-abundance of alcohol…see you in 10 days!

1 comment:

Lo said...

Aquagrill is ehhh in my opinion. Food tastes fine, but I personally think it's overpriced for what they give you. I remember I ordered a side of asparagus and I got 3 stalks and it was like $5.95 or something ridiculous like that!

I hope you're enjoying Greece but - you're going to Matsuhisa there? I guess it seems a little strange to me to be having sushi in Greece. But to each his own I guess!