Sunday, December 16, 2007

Spot- the Dog

Although you have to search hard to find the gems, there are actually a lot of good lunch spots in my work hood. The area I work in is one that is currently unidentified and will probably have an acronym that describes it in the next 5 years. For now I would consider it triabovcan/lo w.village/soweho. In the blocks neighboring my building, there isn't much. Sketchy delis, a random subway and a displaced Chipotle are the nearest establishments. But if you go a bit farther you can find the endearing italian sandwich shops (san panino on hudson, alidoro on sullivan, vesuvio bakery on prince), the perfect thai place with a cheap lunch (peep) and the best gourmet sandwiches, salads and others at Olive's.

There is, however, one little establishment thats really close to my heart- Grey Dog on Carmine. For some reason, its the staple for my lunch group; the go to spot when we are craving hearty soup,a tasty salad, a damn good sandwich, or their delicious tuna tacos. It never fails. Although hard to admit but there have been late nights at work when we've ordered dinner and it has made no difference that we've already had grey dog for lunch- their selection is varied and the food is consistent. Oddly enough, the hippie staff and homey surroundings also bring in celeb clientelle. A couple weeks ago, my friends saw Lilly Taylor there and its been heard that MK and Ashley "eat" there (maybe they get the coffees?). In any case, it's a mystery to me why I can't find the listing in Zagat and the rave review to go along because all I know is that its one rock in my life I won't part with.

No comments: