Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sister Noir

For years, my friends and I have been going to Cafe Noir for their fabulous Sangria and friendly atmosphere. Wild Ginger, specifically, has carved a special place in her heart for the tapas, drinks and characters that reside there. One such character is the pony tailed waiter/manager who loves the ladies so much he took it farther than just offering free cocktails and rested his hands on one of my friend's chest. Silly Sleezy Married Man! Those boobs are not for you! Ging was easily able to forgive and forget, the prospect of wine soaked apples and a bar open till 5am was too good to give up; but for some, they would not return. I still dwell there from time to time for their appetizing foods and festivities as well but the notorious pony tailed server has not been back for quite some time (possibly taking care of his wife?) and I make sure to go there with willing company.



Luckily (or not so luckily for some), a sister restaurant has sprung up in a surprising location on 34th and 2nd. Yes, that's right Murray Hill! From the outside awning, Casaville looks like a cheezy extension of a Mexican restaurant that might serve Pizza as well, but one foot into the dark candle lit atmosphere and you will feel like your not in Murray Hill at all. The same (or similar) sangria can be found and the delightful tapas from Cafe Noir line the menu including the petit paella and the tuna tartar with guacamole. On some nights, it's even rumored that a belly dancer can entertain. (Dr. Doogs says her bf really enjoyed that one! He likes to dance ;)
casaville
My first experience at Casaville was great. It was more low key than Noir with some of the same great perks sans touchy staff/regulars. My second experience at Casaville was a little different. Granted I was there with 8 other girls for Doogs's bday celebration and they could hardly get our order right. Our food was brought out in the weirdest of orders, the staff was unaccommodating (and kind of stupid too might I add) and I asked for the Striped Bass Tagine and when the lamb came out, I was not a happy camper. I had to reiterate several times and the staff was not very apologetic. I sat and continually drank my sangria while the rest of my table chowed down; not a good thing for me when we were on our way to BYOB Kareoke. I understand making mistakes and I have absolutely made them but all we asked for was a little acknowledgment. Finally, after 30 minutes and 5 inquiries later, I received my food. I tried to pout in protest but in the end, I was hungry and wanted to eat and caved in. Not without a battle wound though--I have the burn mark from the hot plate on my arm to prove it!
doogs bday

I hope Doog's bday was a fluke because Murray Hill really needs a relaxed establishment like that with fun Moroccan/French tapas and great Sangria but I'll get an outside party's input before I go back for a third time. I'm not sure whether its better to go to the unaccommodating sibling or the one thats overly friendly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH NO! The boob-grabbing culprit was actually a non-ponytailed guy named Marcello who moved back to Peru! The pony-tailed one is a frenchman who's name escapes me but fortunately/unfortunately for some- he keeps his hands to himself. Moral of the story being: For all- Its safe to go back.