Friday, March 14, 2008

You Say Ketchup, I say Tartar Sauce

For those who eat with me often, I have a weird pattern of eating like a vegetarian without being one. I actually do like meat! But when it comes to eating good food that is good for you, it just happens to be in the form of veggies, and often artificial poultry like chick patties and tofu. And really I like this 'fake food' just as much as I like the real kind so it comes natural for me (no pun intended).

In the everyday exploration of "where to go for lunch," Lady I, DMoney and I like to check out new places in our work hood. This time, we walked a little further to try something new. DMoney heard that Spring Street Natural was really good and once I read the menu I was soo in. They offer an array of vegetable stir frys (with tofu, chix or beef), a plethora of salads, and various sandwiches that fit the vegetarian lifestyle as well as the carnivorous one.

When we got to Spring Street Natural, I was surprised by the massive size of the space. You don't find many large establishments in NYC and there was at least 50 tables there. We sat down in a nook booth (my favorite type of seating!) and began to explore the menu. I immediately asked the waitress what Tempeh was as it sounded like a substitute for Tofu but not quite the same. She gladly replied, "If you don't already like it. Don't try it. I'm vegetarian and don't eat it. It's not good." Well, that made the choice narrowed in but I was still having a hard time choosing between the veggie sandwich, the vegetable stir fry with brown rice or the Yellowfin tuna salad-- so naturally I went with none of them and took a quick chance on the rock shrimp quesadilla. LadyI inspired my choice as she had gone for the same. DMoney went for the catfish sandwich--a random choice but nonetheless solid.

As we awaited our food, the waitress brought over a basket of interesting bread. None of which I could probably describe accurately. One seemed like some sort of pumpkin-esque cornbread probably made with natural oil and non yeast and no glutton or something...which of course I loved but DMoney couldn't stomach without a large shmear of butter and a sprinkle of salt. Next to arrive was my Iced Tea. I was extremely excited when I found a new type of artificial sweetener on the table. Unfortunately, I'm a huge fan of the not so good for you Sweet N Low and Equal. The SweetLeaf Stevia sweetener was calling my name. So I anxiously ripped open the package and poured the packet in without vigorously stirring. Big mistake. The first straw fill was a clumpy gooey and bitter sensation in my mouth. I'm sure (actually I know) that LadyI and DMoney appreciated my contorted face that was disgusted by this horrid sensation. I read the packet instructions. "Pour in portion of content. Stir with liquid. Pour and stir again." Basically the instructions were telling me "You must make sure this shit is dissolved!" DMoney went as far as to taste the contents of the Stevia by itself. After one taste he replied, "Not so bad." After a third taste, his face contorted like mine and asked, "What the fuck is this stuff?"

After the Stevia drama settled down, our food arrived, and the ketchup drama arose. Both LadyI and my quesadillas looked great. Topped with greens and a sauce on the side. It looked like the right decision. DMoney's sandwich looked good as well and the fries on the side topped off the plate. As we began to chow down on our au natural feasts, LadyI snatched a fry from DMoney. "Is that Ketchup?" she asked about the small bowl of condiment on the side. "No, no," he replied, "It's some sort of watery tomatoey tartar sauce." being the condiment connoisseur he is. I then decided to try it because for some reason that sounded good to me. I dipped a fry. "MM..it tastes like a sweeter more watered down ketchup to me." I said. (think back to the obsession with sweet N Low). The waitress then appeared to ask how we were doing. DMoney kindly asked for some ketchup on the side. "Oh! That is the Ketchup." she said. The look on DMoney's face was priceless. Apparently, Spring Street Natural (like much of their food) makes the ketchup homemade.

We finished our food which I think I probably enjoyed the most out of the group and as our waitress removed our plates, DMoney commented to our server, "Loved the ketchup by the way." as an act of kindness/flirting I think. I left half my Iced Tea at the table and we picked up and left.

You won't have anything as exotic as wild boar or animal intestines, but if you aren't comfortable with a little crunchy granola (we know LadyI is!) then I wouldn't run to Spring Street Natural. I particularly liked it as a change of pace; a menu where I'd be happy getting most things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love spring street natural! james

Anonymous said...

tempeh is definitely an acquired taste but i will eat it gladly if i am hungry...