Sunday, March 11, 2007

La Coocaracha...la coocaracha..lalalala

I'm sure this post is going to stir up some controversy...but it had to be done. Sorry guys...

While my friends will stand by this little Mexican joint on 14th street with all their hearts and might...and let me add that one particular friend frequents this place so much she kisses the lead singer of the mariachi band hello- I, for one, would prefer to go to restaurants where you can not see a cockroach climb up the wall. This happened one particular cinco de mayo while the tables were packed to the
max, the air was thick with heat, and I could hear the girl from the back table screaming, "Ew, cockroach!" as the heebee jeebies climbed up my spine giving me sick anxiety, with any sudden movement causing me to flinch. I sat my legs criss crossed on my chair. I'm a little scared of those nasty things.

Before the cockroach incident, I wasn't all that opposed to Tequila's. I mean the food isn't great, but it's cheap sloppy Mexican in an authentic environment. The food is fine and won't break your wallet and the Sangria is actually pretty good at 18 bucks a pitcher. Mostly Mexicans frequent the place and you can find couples dancing on the dancefloor (if that's what you call it).

At this point, I refuse to go there. Somehow though, my friends are able to swindle me on special occasions like AmanDUH's Bday or when they gang up against me and I feel forced to go. I oblige for these times, but not happily. To see the Mariachi band waltz over to the table singing "Felice Cumplianos" and place a large sombrero on AmanDUH's head and snap a polaroid is kind of worth it though. Last night was one of those times, however, when they ganged up on me and said we're going for Sangria to pregame. I wouldn't say I was forced into it, but I was a very unhappy camper when 2 hours later we were still sitting at the colorful tables and watching our waiter flirt with a group of Mexican girls rather than bring over our overdue check.

Wild Ging and AmanDUH joked we were going to come here for my Birthday and I went into extreme pout mode. When we learned Cinco de Mayo was my birthday weekend, we found ourselves in a huge conflict of interest.

All I can say is that I will be posting about my birthday dinner, but you best believe the description won't include cockroach infested Mexican joints like Tequila's,even if they do give you a sombrero and a song on your special day!! Sorry guys, not even for the love of guacamole...


My friends enjoying the band



6 comments:

Lo said...

Okay I have a couple comments for this one...

I've never been to said authentic Mexican joint, however I used to frequent McKenna's, the authentic Irish Pub next door. They have cheap happy hour and nice people work there and go there. I stopped going for one reason though - after seeing one too many roaches crawling up their walls. I know they're everywhere in the city, but I don't want to see them! And I lived in New Orleans, where there are 200 times the amount of seen roaches as there are here! I'm not surprised about Tequila's. YUCK!

The other thing is, your birthday supercedes Cinco de Mayo and you should do and go where you want on your birthday weekend (which I unfortunately won't be here for). I'll take you where you want to go closer to your actual birthday either way though. :)

Anonymous said...

Let's make out and rub tacos all over each other.

Anonymous said...

GRRRRRRRRR. Just for that post, I will make sure that there is nice little Mexican fiesta in your honor on May 5th. The lead singer and his Casio playing sidekick will be serenading you for sure! The food is okay?!??! and you call yourself a food critic!!?! Tequilas is delish! I rank the guac up there with Rosa and Dos, and I am a self appointed expert on Mexican cuisine. The food is amazing given the price- i would choose it any day over those stuffy, overpriced competitors, and the environment is festive, fun, and condusive to taking many tequila shots! I GIVE IT 5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I'd rather have gauc at dos any days..and if I wanted cheap Mexican I'd prefer blockheads. At least I haven't seen a roach on the wall...yet.

Anonymous said...

Both anonymous commentors raise valid points, but more importantly to EVER say that a restaurant that was created for the murray-hell type is better then one of the most glorious places on earth is shameful. The food and atmosphere are glorious and undeniable.
One cockroach on a wall next to an open door in manhattan during a heatwave? Honey, you need to put on your big girl pants for dining in Manhattan.

Anonymous said...

i think that the food at tequilas is better than blockheads... but blockheads is definitely cheaper bc the drinks are so cheap. as a side note - there are blockheads all over the city so i doubt it was created for the murray-hell type. it was probably created for people who enjoy cheap mexican food and cheap margaritas.

the cockroach at tequilas does not really bother me that much. i have only seen one that one time. if it happened everytime i went there, i'm sure i would feel differently. i do enjoy tequilas for the fun environment and good authentic mexican, but price aside, sorry guys, i'd rather go to dos or rosa any day! mmm lobster tacos. tequilas isn't serving no lobster!